It is known to everyone how a traditional email marketing strategy works the best when appropriately implemented. But have you ever thought of a list of skills an email marketing manager must possess to succeed in his day-to-day business activities? For any marketing strategy to reap the maximum benefit, it should have an expert who can systematically guide his team.
Although it looks like a piece of cake, it isn’t the same when you have to handle a bunch of people in your team in reality. Therefore, if you want to be a successful email marketing manager, you must master specific skills in this area. Fret not. This write-up guides you in this aspect with the help of 10 advice. Read till the end to ace your marketing skill.
Table of Contents
1. Know Your Customers Personally
You might have a large customer base but knowing them on a personal basis helps you build a long-lasting relationship with each one of them. But how do you achieve it? You can easily attain it by segmenting your email list into several parts. You can segment on various factors such as geographical location, job title, revenue, and many more. Apart from this, you can also segment the email list based on the user’s behavior pattern such as:
- The prospects who reply to your emails.
- The one who only opens your email.
- The list of people who open the email but do not click the links.
- The group which clicks the link but do not convert.
Once you complete the procedure of segmentation, you can send the highly targeted emails which matters a lot for that particular prospect. Also, according to many researchers, the open and click rates of email have witnessed a drastic improvement through segmentation. Campaign Monitor has also proved that the marketers have seen an upsurge of 760% in email revenue because of segmented campaigns.
2. Keep Your Clients Engaged More Often
It might be a more straightforward task to gain a large number of customer base through email marketing but retaining them through continuous user engagement has left many marketers worried. Hence a big list of users might give you temporary happiness, but a healthy relationship with the small number of clients will do more wonder than expected. The more you engage the user with your emails and business activities, the chances of opening your email and doing business with you increases.
You can follow the below tips to keep them engaged:
- Send personalized emails on a regular basis.
- Do not annoy them by sending emails every day.
- Try to make your every email sound like a series (continuous conversation) instead of plain text.
- Provide special offers for your clients.
- Also, make them feel more values by announcing best deals to them personally.
3. Take Time to Build the Best Email List
List building forms the foundation of your business success. If you want to be a successful email marketing manager, you must be aware of various list building sources. We have listed few which you can utilize in your business and build a long email list.
- Social media
4. Give Importance to Deliverability Rate
After building the list, the real phase of the email marketing begins. Having a big list may not help you in succeeding but having a list with high deliverability rate surely does. If you wish to achieve at least 90% deliverability rate, follow the below tips:
- Do not spam
- Only include relevant contents in your email.
- Comply with the Anti-Spam and GDPR standards.
Also, once you build the mailing list with the help of the sources mentioned above, you must keep it hygienic throughout. You can implement various strategies to keep it clean.
- Go for the double opt-in option to reduce the number of unopen rates.
- Also, verify the emails if you have sourced it from third-party.
- Along with your message in the email body, mention the unsubscribe link.
- Delete all the inactive subscribers from your list.
5. Open and Click Rate Matters A Lot for Your Business
It is disappointing to see a drop in the open rate after investing a lot of time and effort in compiling the email. But you are not alone. Most of the marketers face the same issue while executing email campaigns. We listed a few things below that plays an important role to increase the open rates.
- The attractive subject line to grasp the reader’s attention.
- Authentic “From Name” to make you sound trustworthy.
- Clear text preview is required.
- Select best day or time of the week to send your email.
- Include best as well as relevant content that helps the reader.
- Segment your list before beginning with the email campaign.
Follow these steps to see a rise in your email open rates. The increment in this area has a direct impact on the click rate as well. But you must come up with the highly relevant and valuable offer for your clients if you want them to click the link mentioned in the message. Use a simple and easily viewable HTML based call-to-action (CTA) button in your email to trigger the action.
6. Do Not Forget Social Media
Yes. Stop ignoring the power of social media since it can do wonders for your business. It will not only help you in building the brand value but also helps you in creating the best email list. You can quickly get the information about your prospects through different social media handles such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In, and more. Also, you can collect the leads through Slide Share by sharing your presentation and asking the users to sign up to receive more such slides.
Besides, you must utilize all the features and tools provided on the social media platforms. For example, you can use the story feature of Instagram or Facebook to share your thoughts or promote your products, services, and offers. Also, you can integrate the Facebook live feature to gather the user feedbacks and more. Invest some time in learning the features of online apps and embed them in your campaigns to reap more yield.
7. Automate as Many Things as Possible
Along with the advancement in the technology, the companies have started integrating automated tools in their business. If you are not one among them, try to utilize it before you run out of time and budget. Since these tools save your team from the extra burden, it is a must to implement them in your email marketing strategy. It helps in boosting the email open and click rate as well as your company revenue. Invest in the software that automates some of the everyday tasks such as notifies you when a:
- User clicks a call-to-action (CTA) button in the email.
- User clicks any of your ads.
- An email recipient becomes a qualified lead.
- Addition of a new subscriber to your list.
- User downloads any of your contents.
- A user views any page on your website or blog.
- and more.
8. Be Busy with Analytical Tools
Analyzing and measuring the success of the business operation is an essential step in every marketing strategy. The email marketing managers must be wise enough to master the tools that help in analyzing the progress of the campaign. With such software, he can quickly identify the open, click, and conversion rates. Also, one can view the unsubscribe list and bounce rate that straightforwardly affects the business activities.
Before proceeding with the analytical tools, the email marketing manager must determine the goals as well as different metrics to measure the success. So, it helps him in learning the patterns in the tools and making some required variations in the plan. Also, he must be able to identify the opportunities to boost the campaign success using these tools.
If you do not have an expertise in the skills mentioned above, fret not. You can always improve yourself by taking a baby step. But do not scared of failure or do not demotivate yourself whenever you fail. Failure lays the foundation for the upcoming success. Try to learn from your marketing mistakes and make the necessary changes to your plan. Implement the steps mentioned in this article and also experiment with the new things until you succeed. Be the best manager for your team.
All the best!